X3D is the New Standard for Interactive 3D on the Web
X3D is the International Standard for interactive 3D graphics for real-time communication on the Web. X3D is a royalty-free open standards file format and run-time architecture to represent and communicate 3D scenes and objects using XML.
Surfing the web with Web3D, an Oculus VR helmet and the Chromium web browser is possible; watch the video here under.
X3D by Web3D Consortium
This video shows prominent 2016 exemplar demonstrations:
- Multiple scenes showing Animation, supported by multiple players.
- Interactive 3D graphics on mobile device and platforms including mobile and immersive devices.
- Presentation of Geospatial Data. With X3D, 3D graphics may be Integrated with graphs and text description.
- Embedded in HTML, embedded in a web page without need for external plugins.
- Stereoscopic TV or presented on auto-stereoscopic TV.
- CAD models and applications include visualization in Computer Aided Engineering.
- Human Animation (H-Anim) includes dynamic and interactive animation of human figures.
- Volumetric rendering for Medical Imaging.
- Urban modelling and animated city-scapes for urban modelling and planning.
X3DOM with Leap and Oculus Rift 2 via WebVR
X3D is an ISO-ratified standard that provides a system for the storage, retrieval and playback of real time graphics content embedded in applications, all within an open architecture to support a wide array of domains and user scenarios.
Want more X3D videos? Check the Web3D Consortium YouTube channel here.