A New HD 3D Format and Technology
Dolby (USA) and Philips (The Netherlands) have jointly created a stereoscopic 3D format and content delivery technology, dubbed Dolby 3D. The new format enables stereoscopic HD 3D content on any 3D device display - including autostereoscopic glasses-free displays. The technology automatically optimizes video for different screen sizes and even ups the resolution of "half-resolution" passive 3D to full resolution.The two leading companies have undertaken the joint project to improve the 3D viewing experience on displays of all sizes, including smartphones, tablets, PCs, and televisions. Dolby 3D is a complete system designed to work throughout the chain to deliver clear glasses-free 3D content that operates over existing distribution systems.
A Format Specially Created for Glasses-free Displays
The focus of the project will be to work with original equipment manufacturers of display panels and entertainment devices to enhance the performance of 3D consumer devices to make viewing of stereoscopic 3D content just as convenient and appealing as viewing of 2D content on a high-quality screen is today. This project is uniquely positioned to enable the industry’s adoption of 3D by working on standardization and licensing of the technology.
The Dolby 3D experience will seamlessly integrate into the use cases and viewing patterns of consumers on the go and in the home, making the use of 3D devices an enjoyable daily experience. Content owners and broadcast operators have the unique opportunity to differentiate their offerings by encoding 3D titles in Dolby 3D for maximum fidelity on Dolby 3D enabled devices while maintaining compatibility with existing 3D products. The system will enable a 3D HD format, including tools for 3D content creation and real-time 3D content conversion.
Dolby 3D Advantages
- Greater flexibility: automatically switch between 2D and stereoscopic 3D presentations
- Project on any screen: works with white or silver screens
- Improved returns: a one-time investment with no annual licensing fee or revenue sharing
- Simple installation: rotating color filter wheel assembly easily installs in existing digital projector and can be automated to retract for 2D film playback
- Comfortable, lightweight 3D glasses in two sizes: one for adults and youth, and one for smaller children