stereoscopynews-logo

button-3d-blu-ray  3D Movies Trailers    Follow our 3D News RSS feed Follow StereoscopyNews on Twitter Follow StereoscopyNews on Facebook

Access over 3,500 articles in 70+ categories in the HotNews menu here above.

Nvidia 3D Vision 2 review

T3 just published its first Nvidia 3D Vision 2 review. They tested many of the best selling games with the new Asus VG278H 120 Hz monitor and the new 3D Vision 2 glasses. Overall score : ***** !

Here at stereoscopyNews, we tested a couple of those new27 inches Asus VG278H full HD3D monitors on an edit workstation. Image quality, brighnsee and colors are extremely good.

dual-asus-VG278H-250px

Asus screen installation: Easy and without problem. The only thing is to check your graphic cards supports DVI dual Link or you will not be able to display Full HD 1920x1080 at 120 Hz nor any 3D... Most Nvidia GeForce and Quadro boards are OK. Check Nvidia in case of doubt.

Cable: Be sure to use the dual link DVI cables (those with all pins present in the DVI connector). Cables included with the Asus VG278H are OK. Note that DVI Dual link means NOT you have to connect two cables to the monitor!

3D setup: Use the latest Nvidia driver; it includes the 3D vision glasses support. If, as we did, you install two 3D monitors to the same computer, be careful to put monitor #1 to the left, as the Nvidia 3D vision setup wizard uses only the left most display and sends the infrared glasses signal to monitor #1. So, if monitor #1 is not the left one, the wizard fails miserably (we had monitor#1 on the right, of course ; Windows don't care about that). After we switched the two monitors, the wizard succeeded and we got stereoscopicPlayer running fine on the left monitor (in a window and in full screen as well).

New glasses: compared to the first generation glasses, the new ones are 2 grams heavier, but far more usable as the vision angle is wider, the branches are more comfortable, and -thanks to Lighboost- you are able to read the keyboard's keys without removing them.

Lightboost: This technology used by Nvidia increases 3D brightness because the shutting mode is completely different from the first generation. With 3D Vision, each left or right glass is open only when the corresponding image is present (say 40% of the cycle) and shut when the other image is displayed (40 % also) and also when the switch is under way (say two times 10%). 3D Vision 2  proceeds the other way: each glass is open 60% of the time and closed only when the other image is displayed (40%). There is no problem during the switch because during those periods the monitor iteslfs shuts its background lighting. With the LED backlighting, the on/off light switching is extremely fast, far faster thant the opening or closing time of the glasses. This explains why your keyboard is more visible : you are able to see it 60% instead of 40% of the time, a 50% overall increase in brightness for all your surrounding. Well done! 

 Gamers corner:Read the extended review of the new Nvidia 3D Vision 2 glasses here in T3.